Saturday, February 20, 2010

 

Lunch, Irony and broken eggs

The (usual) hungry self walked into the mess the other day. Without so much as a cursory look towards the regular fare, headed straight towards the 'extras' counter. Read- what you eat by paying extra. Was greeted by plates of Tandoori chicken, kebabs, chilli chicken, chicken 65 and even the rare fish fry. Repeated the puerile exercise of asking the Mess guy what each dish was, mainly to hear the familiar names pronounced yet again in the increasingly familiar Bong accent (Chee-cane shikshty phaa-eeb).

And amidst the apparent problem of plenty, amidst deciding what to choose and what to save for the inevitable tomorrow, the only thing that self really craved for at that point was the once-everyday and forever-cherished anda bhujiya, served on display of those cheap 3 Rupee pink, yellow or white coupons, to desperately salvage and give some taste to a lousily prepared meal, cooked in front of you by that sixty-plus bhaiya whose name I never got to know, to whom I remained just another face amongst the many for whom eggsshells were cracked everyday and with whom the only conversation I had involved him expressing his views on the kanwar march. And that, dear readers, is what I just could not have- not then, not later, and perhaps not ever. For there was so much more to those scrambled eggs than just oil, salt, onions and the occasional jeera and laal mirch...

Comments:
Anecdotal addendum to post- If you wiki'd or were planning to wiki Chicken 65 to find out why it's called so, you're either a Lit or on your way to becoming one. And if you knew the same already, then
~ Restecpa (in R lingo)
~ MaxRespectsAreThere (in Cal lingo)
 
The Maddu geek that I am, I knew the Chicken 65 story. Danke. *Modest bow

Then again, I have been to Buhari (the Maddu restaurant that 'invented' the dish) and heard the story first-hand from an overenthusiastic waiter, so I really don't deserve thy restecpa.

Oh and btw, anda bhujiya now costs 5 bucks. Sigh, inflation.
 
I knew about Chicken 65 even though I am not even remotely Maddu!

*proud smile*
 
I just wikied Chicken 65. I am devastated to know that it has Maddu and not Mallu origins, though it's quite a rage in Mallu land too.
10 rupees are spent every day on full fries, half fries, oemlettes and anda bhujias in the mess- it is well nigh impossible to survive without that. If only we could get chicken here, Master Lefty.
 
@ Dela
Knowing is knowing. How doesn't really matter.

@ Anunaya
Good for you, then

@ Arun
It was my great wish that non-veg be served in R messes before I left. Sadly, it remained unfulfilled.
There was, however, a time in my second year, when the Ganga canteen guy was serving chicken.
 
And he calls me nostalgic. But we do differ, your nostalgia extends to your tastebuds and olfactory at worst...
And I do remember the time when the Ganga fellow served chicken. Might I add that it was lousy.

@Dele:
Hang in there. You're almost out... :D
 
@ PTV
To be fair, the chowmein was decent.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]