Tuesday, August 04, 2009

 

Laughing out loud

Back in the Farmhouse one day, I was engrossed in a (somewhat) deep discussion about how I'd changed in the four years in college. What I'd started liking/disliking, what I'd discovered about myself and the et cetras. I think the discussion lasted about 10 minutes before we decided to move on to more important things, namely AoE. Incidentally, that was one of the things on the aforementioned list. Blogging or writing, to be more general, was another. Yet another was a love for SitComs, which I considered so significant that it even found a way on my B-school application forms a couple of months later.

Musing on the point in consideration some time later, I realized that I'd always had a fondness for sitcoms. It was just never that pronounced or never brought into the fore in as explicit a way as it was in college- 5 epistles in 8 sems, need I say anymore? TV at home had mainly meant sports and cartoons, but as I thought back, it occurred to me that there had been sitcoms slipped in here and there. The first sitcom I recall following avidly was Mind Your Language. It used to air on some channel (probably BBC) at 2130 hours Tuesday night. Mamma, Srishti and I used to enthusiastically look forward to it, codenaming it, and not very cryptically, MYL. It was followed by Murder She Wrote at 10, and we were not allowed to watch it. Packed off to bed we were, trying to make something out of what was happening in the episode from the distorted sounds we got to hear through the door in the next room. Small Wonder was the next sitcom that caught my fancy. I managed to watch the entire series in English, in Hindi and then again in Hindi before I ultimately moved on to bigger and greater things.

I'm not sure if this was before MYL or after, but I remember avidly watching Dennis the Menace- not animated, black and white, and probably aired on Sony. It was dubbed like most other 'imported' shows of the 90s. They used to show I Dream of Jeanie on the same channel sometime later. Another brilliant show. I think it was black and white to begin with too, and later became coloured. Some of my cousins used to watch Bewitched, but I never liked it too much. And then of course, there was Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad. Not a sitcom, but I just had to slip that in. I always considered it 'the' thing in awesomeness. That guy used to get into the comp and fight viruses. What more can an imaginative geeky kid want?

At some point, Zee started telecasting Silver Spoons, Who's the Boss and Different Strokes- dubbed again, of course. I usually missed the first because it coincided with my cricket playing time. Who's the Boss, I used to catch snippets off. I always found the young girl cute and she sure did a brilliant job growing up to become Alyssa Milano. Different Strokes was the one that I followed. I came to know that they've started showing re-runs on Zee English now.

After our move to Delhi, the cable-walah decided to oblige us with Nick, and more importantly Keenan and Kel. Awesome again. It was around then that I started watching Full House too. I think it's good that I managed to watch it while I was still at home. I have a feeling I wouldn't have liked it so much had I started it in college.

You will, of course, have realized, that this list lacked more than a few big names by the time I'd entered college. Hence my earlier admission of discovery. 2-1 changed me from someone who was only vaguely aware of what F.R.I.E.N.D.S. was to someone who has the Rembrandts' title song as one of his many ringtones. Re-runs, re-re-runs and some more re's followed. I went home, and Srishti proved that this affinity was apparently genetic and managed to watch the entire 250+ episodes twice, or was it thrice, in the short period of a week or two. I accompanied her, obviously. By then, I'd adopted the simple and therefore effective policy- a sitcom a semester. Had I been a Boy Scout, I would have received many a badge of good work as more and more of the Lords of the Farmhouse discovered, thanks to me, that they too, had a thing for sitcoms. Coupling, South Park, HIMYM, BBT, That 70s Show, Two and a Half Men etc entered our lives, our conversations and some of our GPAs and left us more happy and content beings.

All in all, I'd say that there are 2 things in sitcoms that appeal to me. There are people who'd rather spend their time watching movies. It's not that I don't really like movies. It's just that I'm a lazy bum. Movies require commitment. 1.5 to 2 hours. Sitcoms allow you 20 minute windows. It's up to you to watch one or even 10 episodes at a go. Plus, each episode is complete in itself, which is not something that a series can boast of.

The more important thing is that a sitcom sends me to some kind of a comfort zone. When I'm watching an episode, be it on my lappy or on TV, I'm at home, at G-81 and at my current (and air-conditioned, mind you) room at C all at the same time. I'm relaxed, irrespective of whether there's nothing to do or too much to do and I really shouldn't be wasting time on frivolities. For those 20, 40, 60 or more minutes, I'm not just lying down at an odd posture with the laptop lodged somewhere on my torso. I'm both engrossed in the story, and somewhere deep down, in my own world where incidents relating to the time when I'd watched that particular sitcom earlier enmesh me in a net of fond reminiscence. That particular moment finds its own little place in this world, to be recalled unexpectedly at a point in the future. For those 20, 40, 60 or more minutes, God is in his heaven and all is right with the world. For those 20, 40, 60 or more minutes, I just sit back, with back support, and let Chandler Bing, Jeff Murdoch, Stephanie Tanner, Eric Cartman, Barney Stinson, Steven Hyde, Sheldon Cooper or any of the many familiar lovable characters crack me up.

Bliss.

Comments:
With me, the love for SitComs started very early. I watched so many random shows on TV that it's hard to keep track. You have listed some of the very best ones. Apart from them, I remember watching the DD classics like Sriman Srimati, Flop Show and Filmy Chakkar.
 
Apart from F.R.I.E.N.D.S, I, too, was predominantly desi, with Shrimaan Shrimati and Dekh Bhai Dekh topping my lists. But, yes, Kenan and Kel was as lovely as Kel's Orange Soda. And how come you didn't like Bewitched? I was eponymously (if there's such a word) afflicted thanks to the protagonist!
 
I like Seinfeld more than Friends. There, I've said it. I have had a tough time all summer deciding which one I liked more- while I've completed 2 re-runs of Friends and still stay up until midnight to catch it on Star World, I find Seinfeld far more witty. Since the latter doesn't find a mention in your post, I presume you haven't seen it yet. Do. George Costanza is awesomer than Barney Stinson.

P.S: I like the new pic on your Blogger profile. Goa, I suppose?
P.P.S: Any hint of gay-ness(sic) in the penultimate line was completely unintentional.
 
@ Shrey
One thing I regret a lot is having missed out on most of the DD Metro shows. We got cable early at home, so I never really watched a lot of Office Office or Sriman Srimati.

@ Murty
Dunno about Bewitched. Maybe it was the time-slot that didn't suit me or something. Or maybe I found it too similar but not as good as Jeanie.

@ Dela
I'm on season 2 in Seinfeld now. It's very enjoyable but I still think I prefer F.R.I.E.N.D.S.
And thanks for your very cool-dude-un-gay comment regarding the pic. Yes, it is Goa. Fort Aguada to be precise.
 
This was a very enjoyable post. The only shows I remember watching among the lot are Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad(wouldn't have recalled the name if not for you) and Small Wonder, and of course, Keenan and Kel. The real stuff though began only after reaching R.
 
I never thought of Small Wonder and Different Strokes (both of which I loved back then) as sitcoms until now... But yes, sitcoms are not only amazing entertainment, (though this may sound strange) you actually learn stuff there!

I'll still add Jacob David Harper to that list!

P.S. I always though Sabrina (the teenage witch) looked cute.
 
@ Arun
I can still recall the title track of Superhuman... It was quite something, if I recall it right.

@ Arun. Anirudh Arun.
Never really thought of sitcoms as a learning means, but if you say so.
Didn't know Sabrina was a sitcom- I only read some of the comics.
 
Awwww, I is mentioned twice. I likes I likes. :)
U've named all my fav shows so there's nothing more to add. Prison-break might just be the only non-sitcom worthy of a mention here, except that it was all downhill from season 2.
 
@ Srishti
:)
 
This nostalgic post transported me to the good ole days when two super-cute kiddos and I would watch Mind Your Language and Murder She Wrote (I thought I allowed you to watch it when you were a bit older)and this weekly event was one of the high points of our lives! Of course 'Are you being served', 'To the manor born' and 'The Lucy Show' were well before your time but an obvious omission from the list of all-time favourites is Sarabhai vs Sarabhai. Or is it that you've never been as keen on it as yours truly?
 
@ Mamma
I remembered about Sarabhai once the post was almost over.
Was too lazy to include it by then.
 
:)
 
You just made me look back into my childhood. I was mere six when I fell in love with the black & white dennis the menace, followed by silver spoons, who's the boss, different strokes and then bewitched. ( from 5-7 every weekday, and i'm not too sure it was on Zee or sony). Then of course there was small wonder, and 4 runs of entire Friends series even before I landed in IITR. ( and I saw the entire series all over again this summer).

This was an awesome post. Exactly what I needed - Blasts from past !!
 
"Sitcoms...some of our GPAs"- ROFL!
And movies seriously require commitment. So these days, I watch them in the skiippety mode, in about 15 minutes. Or watch the movie all week long in installments. Either way, there's no beating Messrs. Bing, Stinson, Cartman et al. :D
Oh and I'm sorry to have gone missing for so long from the circuit. At any rate, meesa is back.
 
@ Amit
Thanks. What's you up to these days?

@ PTV
Welcome back. And pick up your phone, will you. I'm in Noida right now, as I'd told you.
 
:)
I like.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
@ Vatsala
Thanks :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]