Sunday, August 23, 2009

 

45 hours

I've been at C for two months and ten days now. It's been an eventful time- busy for the most part, obviously. It's also been a very quiet time on a personal note. Barring an incident here and there, Lefty has kept his head down and adhered to the general norm. if my presence here has created any sort of flutter, then I must say it has been successful in eluding me. In these two months, I've mainly done what psychologists will tell you most adolescent spend ther entire adolescence doing- fit in. Find my place. And stay there.

This is usually the time when I'm supposed to compare the situation to my first few days at R- and how it was different from here, what I did, what I didn't do etc etc. Relive the good old days. Share a few anecdotes. Look back and smile. However, I won't. Mainly, because I'm not exactly sure of what my initial days there were like. I know Sajal was there with me, and we met Sumedh pretty quickly. After that, whatever I tell you would just be the Rashomon Effect (allow me a pause here while I go enjoy Nihilanth all over again). Some things stick out though, and there are differences between here and there which don't need a genius to figure out. While beginnings anywhere are unfamiliar and any n00b is the newly hatched chicken finding it's way about the strange new world that seems so different from the comforting shell that it had called home for so long, R provided the distinct comfort of knowing that the egg was never too far away. 4-5 rather uncomfortable hours were all it took to traverse 150 km on rickety buses, in precious company, and reach familia. While these visits grew less frequent with time, and home began to have double connotations, one was always practically a phone call away.

How different it all was here. While there was no fear of Ragging, a dreaded word in that era, and prior experience of living in a new place to keep you undaunted by anything, home here was light years away. No more packing your bags whenever any whim possessed you, no more boarding the familiar buses because you needed to get your clothes washed and definitely no more going to Noida to have 4 good meals. I'm never sure what was more unsettling, the physical distance or its cognizance.

You can imagine then, how welcome the decision would have been to say to one and all here that 'I'm leaving on a Jet Plane'. It had been two months after all, punctuated only by the brief yet lasting visit that Mamma had paid to the City of Joy. Plus, it was only a matter of days now before some of the other Lords would head off seek their fortune in foreign lands and any kind of rendezvous would become, if luck permitted, an annual ritual at best. Languid hours of companionship at the Farmhouse were most certainly a thing of the past, there was just this one opportunity for some semblance of one last hurrah.

The precious 45-hour visit could not have begun on a better note. One day prior to the moment of departure, Amul and Ashwini, my former room-mate, landed up at C. Their Visa interview was in Calcutta, and it'd gone off as well as could be. They'd both been cleared to pursue further studies at Ohio State University and a bright future beckoned. We spent a happy evening talking of this and that, recalling some madcap memories and getting gyaan from my current room-mate on the Dos and Don'ts of US. The next day, I inaugurated those 45-hours with a visit to Park Street to meet the two once again, before we finally parted. From there, to the airport. To another more awesome airport. To home.

I spent most of the weekend, relaxing with the folks at home. Fooling around, talking and more talking, exchanging some news that had not been exchanged over the phone, looking at the newest set of photos that had been developed and the customary look around the house to try and spot the changes that had taken place. There were lots of laughs, plans were made for a holiday that is very looked forward to, I even managed to squeeze in the first weekend of EPL matches between the conversations. It was home all over again- great food, the familiar comfort, the loving folks- my family, my home.

There were a lot of au revoirs lined up, and I fulfilled each of them. I met Rakshit and Sagar, spent an evening with Sajji and Chirag and was even generously treated by the now 'Bald and Dutiful' PTV. There was lunch at Mausi's where I caught up with my cousins. The only commonality to everything was that time seemed to fly. And fly very fast. In no time at all, I was back at the awesome airport, alighting the flight that would take me back, the short 120 minute haul that would end this shorter 45-hour journey.

Through most of the trip, one thought had been going around my mind in various forms. I'm far away from home now. This was the first time I wasn't there for my birthday. Srishti's card caught the joy of my turning 22 and the pain of doing so alone, in the unique yet delightfully apt way that she has come to master. This was also the first year I wasn't home for Rakhi. I doubt I'll be there for Diwali, I'll almost certainly miss Mamma's birthday and I'll probably greet 2010 with a very different set of people than the ones I'm used to while ushering in the new year.

While C seems more familiar by the day, there are still impending uncertainties that plague me. The road ahead is an alien place, yet one that I must embark upon. I don't know if I should take the highway, the by-lane or the path less travelled. There are questions that I ask of myself, there are doubts that refuse to be cleared. At the same time, there are expectations that stack up against them. There is promise, there is belief. There is hope. And all I know is this- whatever I'm missing is only so that I can have all that and more in the times to come. It is irony- and I don't know if it's kind or cruel, once more. I'm spending 22 and 23 away from home so that I can spend 24 and the ones to come right there. The crackers I light here will be to resound my faith in lighting future lamps in the dearest company possible. Not just for me, but for most of us, this is a determined effort to make this particular arc the lesser segment in the circle of life. Call it a strange quirk of fate, call it a divine paradox but in the end, C'est la vie, mes amis.



Comments:
Touching. Very touching.
No offence, but I was listening to Bebo Main Bebo throughout- at least I hope you're not missing out on these luxuries back there.
 
A long post and slightly touching as the above person put it. Nevertheless the fact that you aren't at R-land couldn't have been more apparent.

Had you been, this post would have been titled 42 hours. Cheers!
 
I've always been jealous of the Dilli wallahs for abandoning R at a moment's notice. This post reminds me how I'm farther away from home now and there are no signs of going back there on Diwali. But then, as you very aptly put it, that's life.
 
awww...
lovely :)
(in case you are wondering why I shy away from writing long-ish comments on your posts let it suffice to say that words fail me when I try to do justice to what you write and how you write it. I try to string my thoughts into some sense by using vocabulary- with little success.. so these silly brevities are all you’re going to get from me :))
hugs
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
It took this post from you to make me miss home again. But as you said, its just a matter of a few hours ride in a rickety bus.
Too touching, Lefty. You are awesome.
 
Fortunately or unfortunately for me, home is far from being a rickety ride away. Nevertheless, the warmth of home starts off at the very moment flight tickets are booked for home. Discussing with Amma the ambrosial delicacies she would prepare for me at my arrival , making plans with friends, reunions once in a while- the feeling is beyond verbal description.
Touching post Lefta :)
 
@ Murty
Nope. Music is still a comforting companion, second only to books, I guess.

@ Shreyas
I did have 42 at the back of my mind. But then I decided not to stretch the truth by 3 hours.

@ Shrey
Yeah we did have that advantage at R. And is Hyd to Gwalior that far away? I would have thought an overnight journey types.

@ Vatsala
Thanks :)
And these 'silly brevities' are more than enough, don't worry.

@ Arun
I guess you're one of those who can understand my plight slightly better, being in the same situation at R. And thanks for the praise.

@ Raghav
Amborsial delicasies? That brings to mind the poster pics that Shreyas put up on facebook some time ago. What happened to that candidate btw?
 
Saagar, brilliant! Erm.. you know.. see.. umm..
What the heck! Why am I even trying to 'comment' on your blog. It's beyond praise.

And touching, Je sais. J'aime!

Anunaya
 
As Banga said, I used to get, at least initially, pretty J about Dilliwalahs quitting R at the bat on an eyelid. But then, coming to term with facts, I soon found staying in R for long periods much less tedious. In fact, I've come to wonder why people go home so often!

Well, this post rekindled some of those latent sparks. I wanna go home! Lovely post da.
 
@ Anunaya
Shukriya

@ 3.0
True. R grows on you.
As an old ad from the old days used to go, "R world me rahoonga main, ghar nahi jaaoonga main."
 
Awesome post as usual. *so jealous*
And you'll miss my b'day too. :(
 
amazing description of the feelings one experiences at a completely new place. missed the chance of meeting you that day....lets c when the next time comes....ur posts have always been very refreshing ones....keep up the good work...nd enjoy ur time at C....hope it turns out to be as memorable as ur R experience and we get many more anecdotes from you
 
@ Srishti
I know :(

@ Ani
Yeah, hope to meet you soon
 
beautifully put...i especially liked the last para...:)
 
Yes it's not so much the duration as the deliberation needed before leaving for home. You need to think well in advance. Work, da. :|
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Saagar, your innate sagacity took my breath away, yet again. For one so young, you think real profound. 'I'm spending 22 and 23 away from home so that I can spend 24 and the ones to come right there' Amen. Emotions expressed in measured tones, yet succeeding in moving one beyond words-I, of course, read most of it through blurred vision.
 
I will be spending my 4th consecutive Diwali away from home come October. The largely Bihari lot I've spent the last three Diwalis with have created traditions of their own; the annual tradition of watching an incredibly lame movie in a crowded Ravindra room byfar the most popular of the lot. It was Karzzz last year and Gadar the year before that.

Yet, there is something inexplicably delightful about munching on Mum's murukkus and fighting with my brother over the last Kaju Katli that even Sunny Deol cannot come close to supplanting.

Lovely post, master.
 
@ Mamma
The Wise One is flattered. :)

@ Dela
Murukku :)
And there was Tenguey and Shakarapongal too.
Which movie are you looking to watch this year?
 
i had never made any point of not commenting in your blog though i wanted always to...but this post touched me more than any one ever did..
(I thought of using something else other than 'touched' but could not find it)
 
@ Rahul
Thanks
 
It's 'tenkuzhal', Bihari boy.

We still haven't picked a movie for this Diwali. I have been campaigning for 'Yaarukku Yaaro Stepnee'. See it if you ever get the chance. It is mankind's greatest creation since the wheel (Refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaaruku_Yaaro%28Tamil_Film%29 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwjszYVHVUA for details)
 
@ Dela
Tamil(insert all letters of the alphabet)rrzhu spellings continue to baffle me, as usual
 
It was really awesome, meeting you after long. Was not at all in a mood to let the moment go off. But, the time just not slipped, it flew. Dunno when will we meet again :(
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]