Saturday, June 27, 2009

 

And so we begin. Again.

New place, new start. The journey from R to C has been completed and the journey from C to I don't C where has just begun. The next set of posts will be about them, I guess, with frequent jaunts to R and beyond.

The settling in process is over now, meaning I'm no longer unsettled as I was initially. Lefty's great aphorism#23: leaving college for home doesn't really rattle you. It's when you leave home also and are in an unfamiliar habitat that you ask yourself- What am I doing with my life? You'll all see for yourselves when your time comes. Anyway, wise words over, I see that I'd probably like this place. It's full of overachievers obviously, but it's a decent bunch overall. There are 7 lakes which make the campus very different and mighty pleasant in the evenings. That's a welcome change from the hot humid afternoons that we have to bear.

The food in the mess is actually pretty good. Great relief considering that the schedule is so packed that going out as often as you please is a stern no-no. For all those of you who thought I was in Cal, think again. I'm on the very outskirts, at a place called Joka. Going to Cal is quite an ordeal. But yes, the place is still as brilliant as it was before. I had a recci prior to actually coming to the campus, and I discovered that heaven still exists in Tangra, there's a place called Flurie's where the confectionary is definitely something to write home about and that good times overall can be had outside of Joka.

The lifestyle is here is like that of any other college, except that students are far busier. But they still manage to enjoy themselves, and there's a lot of camaraderie and frolicking to be observed. We had our Fresher's Party the other night and heard the Joka song for the first time. It's a swinging melody, and suggests that people spend two happy years here and are quite sad when the time to part comes. I hope that two years down the line, I'm one of them too.

I'm a thousand miles away from R now. Away from the farmhouse, from WONA, from Lit, from Meta. I still can't bear to look at the pictures of those good times. My wallpaper is all I can manage for now. It's been almost a month now since I said my last goodbye, in a car piled with luggage, some 100 bucks in my wallet, meagre balance on my cell and a mind-vault full of priceless treasures. Yet, even now, despite the change in environment, people and schedule, Roorkee is just a fond memory away.

Comments:
Hey-lo. So good to witness another thought crime. The aphorism #23 seems especially true as I sit here in a hotel room which despite being infinitely more comfortable than F-42, Ravindra Bhawan, cannot provide the comfort of not having to wonder, "What next?".
So do guys at C get nicknames? What's yours? I do hope they don't call themselves C-men.
 
Yo.
C-men. Amazing. Good to see the newfound comfort hasn't rusted the old humour.
No nicknames yet. I might get one sometime. And yes, as and when posts permit, people will get nicknames.
You will remember to send your new number obviously. Have fun working.
 
Nice to see Master lefty back blogging :)
Incidentally, do you know Arun Shashank there? He s a school senior from IITM.
Hope you have a gr8 time out there :)
 
@Banja
Personally I found G-30 something a lot more comfortable than F-42.

@Lefty
7 lakes? Reminds me of pre-IT B'lore. It is slightly disconcerting that your posts, as Bangy-Boy predicted, seem less familiar already. Oh well, it was a lovely post nevertheless. I'll have to wait for your Val to make my long-overdue debut on your blog.

And for the umpteenth time, you city is too bloody hot.
 
@Banja
Personally I found G-30 something a lot more comfortable than F-42.

@Lefty
7 lakes? Reminds me of pre-IT B'lore. It is slightly disconcerting that your posts, as Bangy-Boy predicted, seem less familiar already. Oh well, it was a lovely post nevertheless. I'll have to wait for your Val to make my long-overdue debut on your blog.

And for the umpteenth time, you city is too bloody hot.
 
No ragging there, i presume ;)

7 Lakes - wow!

Hope the force is with the C-men(:D) during your two year journey!
 
Make that C++ men :D
 
Great to see you back: the underlying tone of wisdom-in accepting change and looking forward to the Best, while carefully nurturing treasured memories of times gone by-made me feel proud of you yet again. Attaboy!! Here's to some wonderful times ahead!!
P.S-The last two lines were superb.
 
Planning a delhi trip in the near future? your tees have arrived and i still havent had the pleasure of handing one of them over to one of u oldies...
 
sorry lefty boy about the promised rendezvous...we did our trip one week previously. anywhoo, you are in a city which shouldnt dissapoint you.
and yes, glad to see you back! till again...khoob bhaalo!
 
@ Raghav
Thanks. And yes, I've heard of Arun Shashank from someone else too. But haven't met him.

@ Dela
Already? I think that's psychological. And tell me. Is the convo in sept or not?

@ Shreyas
Nope. No ragging. And thanks for the good wishes, once-Padawan now-knight.

@ Mamma
Thank you. Specially for appreciating the last two lines. A lot of thought went into them.

@ Prondu
Der aaye durust aaye, huh? Delhi in sept, I shall be in.

@ Susaant
np. I agree that Cal rocks too. Bhaalo achche indeed.
 
@Lefty
My old number is working for now.

@dela
Baster. It was G-44. Remember when I kicked you and hulk out? :D
 
Glad you are liking the place. Knowing your passion for food, Cal will be a great getaway :)
 
Banja stole the words outta me keyboard (...another thought crime). Leaves me to say nothing but to quote a few lines from a fellow passenger on the Yeswantpur-Howrah Express (in a heavy Bong accent) : "You haven't heard of Sonagachi? How is that possible? It is world-famous place. All American actress come to Kolkata- first thing visit Sonagachi."

@ Banja

C-men: ROTFLMAO.
 
Baster, there is this other school senior in C, his name is Prashanth Samuel. The guy probably remembers me. Plays brilliaont football. Okhai. Keep in touch.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Great to hear that you're enjoying yourself in C. Some of my bengali friends frequently tell me about the awesome food they get there. You must be lovin' it!!

And guess who I bumped into during my intern in Bangalore?? Your former bihari schoolmate Shashwat.Gr8 chap!
 
@ Naveen
Your friends are right. The food here is good. Hats off to the chefs. I seriously hope they maintain their standards in the 2 years I have.
And you met Shashwat? That's great. I hope he's good and all. Been out of touch with him for ages.
 
Hurts dunnit? Not to worry, the food there will ease your settling in a lot. And, the place is cheeeep.
Oh, sorry about the absence. My time in Pune is ending. In the words of California's struggling governor, I'll be back. :D
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]