Friday, February 20, 2009

 

I for Insomnia

They say that life is full of ups and downs. I love the saying, specially because of its tacit assumption that there are ups in life.

The gory details then:

The GD: Case study. Not too tough. Half an hour given for writing down the analysis, something I was very thankful for. The discussion went well, specially because in the end we gave everyone the chance to conclude, giving his own reasons. The panelists appreciated that. We thought they were cool. Till then, anyway.

The Interview: This is where the fun begins. Two gents again. Silent (S) and Not-So-Silent (NSS, pardon the initials)

S: So, you're from R? Quite a number of R boys here today.
Me: Yes, sir. I met some seniors from the 2005 batch. It was great meeting them. It'll be even better if we can all do an MBA together.
S: hmmm

NSS: So, are you doing your BTP? Or just GD/PI preparation?
Me: No sir. I've started.
NSS: You've started, eh? Very good.
Me: Yes, sir and my BTP is Extraction of Copper from Metallurgical Scrap/Waste by Cementation.
NSS: Cementation, huh? Anyway, what are Self Lubricating Bearings?
(Readers be warned now. The rest of this post only says one thing- I got screwed. Otherwise, people with an interest in Metallurgy might read further.)
Me: Self Lubricating Bearings? I know they're made by Powder Metallurgy...
NSS: Powder Metallurgy. ok. Evil glint in the eye. I will come to that later. Now go on about SLBs.
Me: Remembering, remembering. Er... I remember pores and... oil. I'm sorry sir I don't know. NSS continues to stare at me. I can't recall sir, I'm sorry.
NSS: Ok, what are the other processes apart from PM?
Me: Casting, forging, extrusion, rolling, forming, yeah and welding too.
NSS: How do you make Printer Circuit Boards?
Me: WTF? I don't even know what Printer Circuit Boards are. I don't know, sir.
NSS: Which metal is used in Printer Circuit Boards?
Me: Mustering courage... Er, what are Printer Circuit Boards?
NSS: I don't know, you tell me. Which metal is used?
Me: I don't know sir.
NSS: Ok. Powder Metallurgy then. Tell me some applications. You couldn't tell me about Self Lubricating Bearings.
Me: PM is used to make aircraft brakes sir. For emergency braking. And for... Iron Phosphorus systems. NSS continues to stare... I try to recall more. That's all that I can remember, sir.
NSS: Ok. You know semi-conductors?
Me: Yes, sir.
NSS: Is Silicon one?
Me: Yes, sir.
NSS: Why?
Me: Told him.
NSS: What is quartz?
Me: A compound that is a Silica form sir.
NSS: Would you call it a compound?
Me: Er, SiO2. It's basically a ceramic.
NSS: Ok, tell me its uses.
Me: Ajanta quartz comes to mind. Used in watches sir.
NSS: Watches? Ok, tell me one property of quartz because of which it's used it watches.
Me: I don't know sir.
NSS: How do you make engine cylinders?
Me: Casting, and welding (Wild guesses)
NSS: Casting, and welding?
Me: Sir, we make it by casting. In case the product required is too big, we join the different parts by welding.
NSS: Hmmm. What is Eutectic point?
Me: Finally, something that I know. Meta meta...
NSS: Ok, ok. Can you tell me the name of the Engineer who designed the Roorkee canal?
Me: Can I? Can I? Cautley sir. Sir Proby Cautley. And Sir Thomasson was the one who did most of the field work.
NSS: Looks at S. That's it I think. Thank you.
Me: Thank you, sir.

2 down, 3 to go.

Comments:
Finally, something that I know. Meta meta...

Class, da!
 
yaar i think it went okkk.....u answered quite a few things nd u rn't supposed to kno evrythin....how long did it go??
 
Scary. I always thought IIM interviews were no more a long bakar session with a few old gentlemen.
And I thought I would stand for Iruvar, after K for.....

Anywhoo, take a look at this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUgr4mVris
 
*no more than
 
dude.. its "printed" circuit board ! hum electrical engineers ke rozmarre ka saadhan hai yeh... please rectify the crime u committed ! :)
 
agree with dela... wasn't exactly a bakar session, eh?
how many 'R' guys were there anyway? anyway, best of luck for the next one.. which is?
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
@ Ashish
I doubt it. I guess it went on for about 5-10 mins.

@ Dela
Far from it Dello Boy, far from it.

@ Rakshit
I'll see to the error sooner than later.

@ Kinx
Made the same mistake as Dela did we? The next is Ella, as fair Orianne would have said.
 
So far so good; only Time will tell how you really fared, young man.
And now, ALL THE BEST FOR THE REST!!
 
You really didn't know PCB's? Or Quartz and it's piezoelectric use?! Dude! You didn't like NCERT texts did you?

Oh well. You did better than I would have done in that pressure cauldron.
 
@ DC
Booshtard.
I'm actually exploding with joy at seeing you on here again, but still.
Booshtard.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]