Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 

Morning's here

The quintessential morning begins with the crow of the rooster. Rather rummy, the crow of a rooster. If it’s a rooster, shouldn’t it leave crowing to the crows and spend its time roosting? But then English was never the most logical of languages. Check out what Old Man Poochie has to say about it. Crowing and roosting aside, the point that I’m trying to put across, in my own verbose way, is that morning’s here. Here, I must pause and remember fondly one of the greatest FRIENDS episodes- The One Where they bet the apartment. It begins with the neighbour singing, “Morning’s here” much to Rachel’s chagrin. Or does it begin with Joey’s and Chandler’s rooster crowing? I think it does. That’s when they realize that the chick is actually a rooster. Which brings me back to the rooster.


This morning, I heard a rooster crow for possibly the first time in my life. At least the first time at the crack of dawn. Faithful readers who’ve read Ding Dong Clock will wonder what Lefty was doing up and about at the crack of dawn. You guessed it. I didn’t sleep tonight. A great pity really. For sleep is one of the greatest things a man can ask for. For me, the entire process begins sometime between 11 and 2. There are times when, like the proverbial hard-working honest soul, I hit the pillow and drift into a peaceful slumber. But those times are rare, very rare indeed. Generally, I spend anything between half an hour to indefinitely trying to coerce myself into sleeping. I count sheep, try not to think of anything, put on soothing music, anything for those 8 hours of bliss. Advocates of “6 hours is substantial sleep, 7 is luxury and 8 is vice” can go watch Jhoom Barabar Jhoom for all I care.


Once the unthinkable has been achieved however, I am in paradise. My head and the pillow, my shoulders and the mattress, all rejoice in tacit joy at their union. I plunge headlong into the deepest fathoms of sleep, content and at peace with the world. Sleep enmeshes me into her loving arms, caressing me as I cherish the moments spent with her. Dreams occasionally interrupt this lover’s rendezvous, trying to lure me away by showing me quixotic visions of myself as a plenipotentiary, a Croesus, an Adonis or even as a champion general of my AoE forces. I resist, but there are times when I have to give in. I am human after all, and entitled at least one Achilles’ heel.


The first rays of the sun are supposed to be one of the greatest sights mankind can behold. These rays, a mere glimpse of which is coveted by thousands, find me blissfully unaware in my ground-floor room at the Farmhouse. They peep in through the tiny window and illuminate the content and occasionally vacuous expression, on my visage. These rays must be beautiful, everyone says so. If there’s a heaven on earth, then as long as its prepared to let me sleep in peace, I’m prepared to accept that it exists.


The cry of the rooster is greeted by Raps hanging his washed clothes on the clothesline. What he does before that is something that no one knows. Its slated to appear on History’s Mysteries on the History Channel any day now. All that is known is that Raps, like Tolkien’s Tom Bombadil, like the Bible’s Adam and like our Manu, is the First. The First who hangs clothes on the clothesline. Once he’s done though, he walks past the 11 doors that separate his spic and span room from my not-so-spic and span one and bangs the door open. It is then that the mother of all battles begins. Sleep continues to hold me tight in her arms, enchanting me into believing that she and I are inextricable. Raps uses clear logic and the threat of attendance backs to convince me that we better not be. Sleep is magniloquent, whispering to me that this disturbance is ephemeral, and should I let it pass, we shall be One once more. Raps adroitly puts on the light, shakes me by the shoulder and shouts, “One more cross on the Bunk-O-Meter.” Occasionally, he is joined by Good Boy, who lends him a helping had in this mammoth uphill battle, the Newspaper-waala, who shows the same look of saturnine indifference at this epic everyday battle and dutifully drops the morning’s copy of HT and ET, and the Dhobi, who still calls me Bhaiya (Refer: That Ubiquitous Relative).


Having got me to open my eyes, they mutter threats and move out, letting me know how much time I have to get myself to class in a presentable manner. Sleep exults at the retreat of her foes and tempts me into her arms again. New, hitherto unexplored adventures are offered for the next couple of hours, titillating each nerve of mine. I find myself succumbing to these wiles. My eyelids begin to droop. The pillow gets softer and the mattress more comfortable. A hundred reasons explaining why missing class wouldn’t make any difference flash before my heavy eyes. A thousand promises saying that I will go to class the following day, week and month are made to myself. My eyelids droop further, eyelashes looking to meet the cheeks with the touch of finality.


Somehow, denying sleep her victory, I groggily get up, reach out for my spects, curse anything and everything and move towards my toothbrush. Morning’s here and another day in the life of Lefty has just begun.


Comments:
Boy, you have surpassed yourself this time!! The mellifluousness, the sheer poetry of the prose (!!) took my breath away! Shakespeare's description of sleep: "Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course, Chief nourisher in life's feast." pales in comparison to your vivid portrayal.
And then the reference to Morning's untouched beauty is at once reminiscent of Wordsworth's immortal lines,
"Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty……….
..........Never did the sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill"
This write-up has put you in league with them; great going!!
 
@Bhaiya - Whatte post! must read 4 all sleep lovers!
@Mamma - Whatte comment! must read 4 all struggling eng hons students!
 
I see that you have thoughtfully eliminated the fact that our efficiency of waking you up is a paltry 63 percent. And that the newsman does not arrive till nine thirty. And that History Channel can only broadcast facts and not theories, as must be conjured in my case.

By the way, great post. Read it before you go to sleep every single day of your student life.
 
How many "Old Man Poochie"s do you know of? I thought that title had been solely bequeathed to me. But seeing that Title being linked to some other blog, I'm deeply grieved and baffled. *shakes head* How could you?
 
@Mamma
As far as the flattering comment is concerned, "you have surpassed yourself this time!! The mellifluousness, the sheer poetry of the prose (!!) took my breath away!"

@Srishti
Thuncha

@Raps
Don't leak sensitive info. This is a public blog

@Pulki
So sorry. You are, and shall always remain, Old Man Poochie. Made an error in hyperlinking. Shall be seen to immediately.
 
Sir, that comment on my comment was incomplete. The sentence beginning 'As far as the flattering....breath away' trailed off into mid air!! What were you trying to convey?
 
Ah, mornings.... I've heard a lot about them. Never seen them in person, though...Out of magnanimity, I always let the Princess of Sleep win.... Night-outs apart, my record for the earliest I've woken up remains a disgraceful 6.30 AM....

And btw, 63% is quite decent... I'm sure the 'Firsts' in our wing will vouch for that....
 
Thank God its Raps.. who has got this remarkable efficieny offcourse... I guess it would have been revrse in digits, probably a decimal point would have also come in my case. I admire you Rapu and i guess probably lefty will overcome his nocturnal and day long sleeping habits, atleast to reward you[:D].
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]