Friday, July 20, 2007

 

Twenty. And a toast to JKR.

In a couple of hours from now. I’ll turn twenty. One full score. And I’m not looking forward to it at all. Probably the first birthday of its kind. It was ok when it was happening to other people. But I wasn’t supposed to be one of them. Twenty sounds so serious and boring. A sheer contrast to the ebullient and energetic nineteen. Twenty is synonymous with trousers and jobs. And serious looks and responsibilities. And it’s nature’s unpleasant way of reminding you that your hairline is about to start emulating Bald Boy’s.

The only time I’ve felt twenty was when I was doing my interns this summer. I’ll blab about it in proper detail another time. For now, let me lament and curse everyone in sight. It’s a bit of a comfort to fix ’18 till I die’ on your playlist, but it’s only a matter of time before my sister comes and demands that I put on one of BSB’s or Westlife’s lullabies. So much for rebellion.

I did one thing I never thought I would accomplish before turning twenty, though. I managed to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yesterday. The book is absolutely brilliant. It’s exceedingly well written. Possibly the best in the series. Very fast and even moving and inspirational in parts. A fitting end to a great series. It was awesome reading it knowing I was one of the very few people in the world to do so then. And once I had finished, I felt I had such tremendous power in my hands. I seriously contemplated calling up Aaj Tak, but then decided against it. Go read the book, all of you. Otherwise, go boil your heads.

A guy had come to change our net connection today. I forget the context but he mentioned to someone that I was probably around seventeen-eighteen! I almost corrected him, but then decided to savour the moment for these last few hours. This is one sad birthday, but the next nine are going to be better and better. Then I’ll be like wine- better with age. After that, Thirty. Then of course, it’s all downhill. But that’s a long way ahead. I can find some solace in that.

Less than two hours left now.
And then, Twenty.
Damn it.

Comments:
nice post u oldie... i still have more than 6 months to go... :-)
 
Happy Birthday mate. Welcome to the tweens!
 
I agree. The book is BRILLIANT! Well, almost. I was a bit bored round the middle, but the end's terrific. Guess Hogwarts is Rowling's forte(`).

Oh, you are twenty? Sorry I didn't disturb you in your sleep.
 
@Pulki
I thought the tweens were the pre-teens.
 
I know how it feels. I just know.
Btw, It's not polite to be blowing jokes about poor matty. I think we should melllow down on him. Don't you?
 
@PTV
Point taken. The offensive lines shall be deleted.
 
You've been tagged. Now get to work on it! http://mathewke.wordpress.com/2007/07/29/8-simple-facts/

Also, your reference to me in your blog - very uncool!!!
 
@Matty Boy
Have worked on the tag
the offending reference has been removed.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]